ZION BAPTIST CHURCH
In the early part of the twentieth
century, a dedicated and devoted group of people was given permission to
hold Church Services in an oak grove across the road from the old Elizabeth
Ann Baggett Home Place. Apparently, at these Bush Arbor meetings, a solemn
and unending impression encouraged the group to begin preparation to organize
a Baptist Church. An acre of land on Lot Number 890 in Paulding County
was donated by Joseph Baggett to the Deacons and their successors in office
of Zion Baptist Church. On 3 September 1903 the Baptist Church of Christ
at Zion was constituted with seven Charter Members at Osborne Schoolhouse,
which was near the present building. The old sanctuary still stands and
new grounds now include a cemetery.
In its constitution, Elder A.
J. Wood was elected Moderator and R. M. Wood was elected Clerk. The doors
of the Church were opened to receive members, and received elder J. T.
Allgood and wife Emma Allgood, R. A. D. Head and wife M. E. Head, Emory
S. Head, A. Forney Thompson, and Jesse N. Wisener. Elder John T. Allgood
was elected Pastor and A. Forney Thompson was elected Clerk for the coming
year. Shortly after its organization, the Church became a member of the
New Hope Baptist Association.
Succeeding Pastors: Elders John
T. Allgood; James (Jim) Williams; Emory S. Head; Marion B. Moon; John F.
Wallace; James (Jim) W. Turner, 1928-?; Clifford C. Harden, ?-1934; Henry
C. Palmer, 1934-1935; W. Homer Eidson, 1935-1940; Price E. Turner, 1940-1993;
and Travis Warren.
Succeeding Clerks: A. Forney
Thompson; Jesse N. Wisener; Charley A. Thompson; Eldo Turner; Henry Cason;
Bennie Parks; William Wise; James J. Turner; W. Hugh Shepard; and Jeffery